Give InKind Support Recipient, Heather received a positive diagnosis of breast cancer and received a double mastectomy as a result. She was kind enough to share her list of must-haves, nice-to-haves, and hospital needs as she recovered from major surgery and began radiation.
Read Heather’s story here.
Post-Mastectomy Must Have’s
- 2 Sets of Drain belts – one for every-day wearing and one for the shower
- Pillow husband – used as a base for all the other pillows (a wedge was also recommended but I was happy with my set-up)
- Lightweight straw cups – for water as the heavy metal or glass ones hurt to lift
- Spin toothbrush – to help reduce arm movement
- Button/zip up everything – bras with no underwire, shirts, and pajamas for at least 2-4 weeks
- Hand-held shower wand – makes showering much easier
- A bench for the shower – to help support me
- Neck pillow – helps for sleeping upright
- A stylist – to help wash your hairfor the first week or two
- Entertainment – plenty of DVRed shows or a good Hulu/Netflix binge list for recovery downtime
Pre and Post-Op For the Hospital
- Eye mask – for resting/sleeping during the day
- Earplugs – for noise reduction from machines
- Portable phone charger – because who can remember to bring a phone charger?
- Hairbrush/hair ties – to keep hair out of your face
- Toothbrush – disposables are nice for the patient and family who may stay overnight
- Larger-than-normal zip-up shirt/sweatshirt – for easily getting dressed after being discharged
Give InKind does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. We have an affiliate relationship with many of the advertisers on our site, and may receive a commission from any products purchased from links in this article. See Terms & Conditions.