Give InKind is honored to feature Stephanie McKercher, RDN, of The Grateful Grazer. Here, she considers sweet treats for kids in hospital stays.
Finding healthier desserts for your kids is always a challenge, but this is especially true for kids who are stuck in the hospital or constantly being shuffled from one doctor’s appointment to the next.
Luckily, there continues to be more and more convenient and nutritious treats available online these days.
These 7 kid-friendly desserts utilize the natural sweetness of fruit and healthy fats and fiber to promote optimal energy levels. (And prevent those sugar-related spikes and crashes.) They’re also prepackaged so you can bring them along to appointments or easily store them in hospital rooms.
Presenting any of these delicious treats is sure to brighten your child’s day.
- Nature’s All Foods Organic Freeze Dried Dark Chocolate Strawberries Freeze-dried fruits are a great snack option for healthy carbohydrates that are balanced with fiber for digestion and blood sugar control. I love the idea of adding dark chocolate to help this healthy snack taste like a true treat.
- Mamma Chia Chia Squeeze – Strawberry Banana A child will love eating this fruity chia seed squeeze snack. Along with a variety of fruits, this healthy treat also sneaks in organic beet puree for some added veggies.
- Ruby Rockets Beam Me Up Berry Non-Dairy Yogurt Another fun squeeze snack, this combination of berries, creamed coconut, and sweet potatoes is sure to satisfy your child’s sweet cravings. It also includes pea protein to support optimal growth and development.
- Justin’s Mini Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups Who doesn’t love chocolate peanut butter cups? This version uses organic dark chocolate and peanuts to create a chocolate treat that’s still relatively high in protein and healthy fats.
- Goodbites Raw Chocolate Truffle These healthy truffles are packed with protective antioxidants from cacao and goji berries. They’re also sweetened only with berries and honey and are free of any added refined sugars.
- Surf Sweets Fruity Bears Unlike most gummy bears on the market, these are made with organic fruit juice and are colored with natural ingredients like turmeric and black carrot juice. Perfect for the little candy-lover in your life!
- Svelte Organic Protein Shake – Chocolate. Kids who prefer something sweet to drink will love this organic chocolate shake, which is made with organic soybeans for a rich source of plant-based protein wrapped up in a convenient package.
Give InKind does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. We have an affiliate relationship with many of the advertisers on our site, and may receive a commission from any products purchased from links in this article. See Terms & Conditions.